Mouse steering: Like the old X3 days

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

russbo
x4

Mouse steering: Like the old X3 days

Post by russbo » Thu, 1. Jan 15, 16:30

After years of playing X3 in "classic flight mode", I've tried to move on to Rebirth, but I"m having trouble figuring out how to fly the ship using the mouse. Not the "mouse steer", where you use the mouse cursor to point where you want to go ("cursor flight mode"). In the older games you could use the mouse almost like a joystick (invert the y axis, pulling back to steer up, pushing forward to steer down, right and left to steer right and left) . I used the arrow keys for accel/decel and roll right and left. Never used the mouse for cursor flight mode; just didn't find it too realistic. Using the mouse to fly was great.

Can't figure out how to set that classic flight mode up in Rebirth. I hit the spacebar to go to "mouse steer", and it's the old cursor flight mode stuff again. Is it possible to use the mouse in the older classic flight mode as in the other older games, or is this just another one of these design changes that caused so many of us to leave this great series...

Thanks. I'm looking forward to giving this new game a chance.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Thu, 1. Jan 15, 18:09

This was 'debated' just recently, several people (including me)
have said they'd like to see the old classic mouse steering re-implemented,
since it's not present in Rebirth AFAIK.

Personally I find the 'mouse steer to point' mechanism mostly unusable,
so I use a controller, which isn't too bad.

I doubt Egosoft have this as a priority, but you never know, try sending them some Pizzas & Pancakes.

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 11:04

Pizzas and pancakes together? You guys in Britain eat funny

Yes, I find the current mouse usage in the game untenable. Can you direct me to this other discussion (I had searched before posting, couldn't find anything). Was just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for using the mouse the way they designed it. I was never able to get this old brain accustomed to using a controller. I guess if Egosoft never fixes this mouse issue, there's always the joystick..

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 18:05

I think it's a German speciality, particularly relished by some game software writers.
Can't beat a good pepperoni pancake or a maple syrup pizza :)

Weeeell anyway, the thread was
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 21#4477721
it got a bit ratty, if you know what i mean & got locked,
but still some good details in there if you ignore the aggro (including mine :doh:)

Don't think it's against the forum rules to link to a locked thread, I hope.

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 12:53

Thanks. Sorry I missed that discussion, looks like it was a lot of fun.

Hopefully, the dev's will bring back the classic mouse flight control. (I've put too many hundreds of hours into the previous game, and I'm too old to be learning new control methods...!)

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”