Invert pitch mouse on ship/ 0-order bind mouse to ship movment. Are either of these possible? I don't see the option.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hamakua
x4

Invert pitch mouse on ship/ 0-order bind mouse to ship movment. Are either of these possible? I don't see the option.

Post by Hamakua » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 16:14

Hello, long time no see everyone. I just booted up the game and the control options are amazingly frustrating. I can invert mouse look for walking around, which is great but it ignores it when I'm flying the ship. Further I don't see an option to bind ship pitch and yaw to a 0-order operation like you were able to in X3 and previous X-games. Am I missing something here?

What I'm hoping to do is have it so when I push the mouse towards the screen the ship pitches down and pulling back has it pitch up - NOT "follow the cursor".

ChristianWagner
x3

Re: Invert pitch mouse on ship/ 0-order bind mouse to ship movment. Are either of these possible? I don't see the opti

Post by ChristianWagner » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 16:34

I fully understand you. I want to fly inverted, too

BUT i guess this is the problem:

"But.. the mouse pointer is used the same way for menues as it is for steering. Wouldn't what you request make it very difficult to aim your gimballed lasers, not to mention click objects or menues?"

Have you tried this:

shift+N with the invert off?

russbo
x4

Re: Invert pitch mouse on ship/ 0-order bind mouse to ship movment. Are either of these possible? I don't see the opti

Post by russbo » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 19:03

I'm finding this method of flying a bit frustrating also. Just wait until you get into a spacesuit.. Miss the old X3 variation (classic?) where the mouse movement forward and back controlled pitch.

98abaile
x4

Post by 98abaile » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 20:34

Yep, mouse follow is ass. It was ass in X3, it was ass in all the expansions, it's ass now; it will always be ass.

Drewgamer
x4

Post by Drewgamer » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 21:01

I'm guessing you're referring to something similar to this control style?

I can't imagine implementing something like this would be too difficult. You would obviously lose use of your gimbals (unless there was some sort of auto-aim implemented), though I have a feeling that isn't really a concern :P
Check out my mod Crystal Rarities

Hellfire
x4

Post by Hellfire » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 08:40

Hi,
long time invert look user here. The logic and feeling for invert look users is the following. If the mouse or device controls something which is not a vehicle or aiming (which was and is in most games where you look at), then we use the mouse or stick not inverted, think normal mouse operation in the OS GUI and menu clicking on a panel. up is up , down is down.
But as soon as we control a vehicle, aiming or free look, it must be inverted. Because: That is how the head movement is for looking up and down. IRL,you move your head to the back to look up, that movement even can involve shoulders and body moving back, and vice versa. So it is really connected to our natural feel of what is looking up and down. With vehicles it is like flying a plane, I guess I don't have to explain this one. So it is incredibly difficult to have it differently. so yes, inverted look for fps and flying is a must. Combat is getting very frustrating and I am glad this is not PVP. And in the menus it has to be normal again, and yes, I undertstand the development challenge when this has not been thought of by design.

Cowlio
x4

Post by Cowlio » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 22:57

I haven't checked the impact on other areas of the game however you can 'force' the mouse pitch to be inverted by editing the inputmap.xml file located in your documents/egosoft/x4/xxxx/ folder.

Add the line (in top section under <config>):

<param name="invert_mouse_pitch" value="true"/>

Had a quick fly around and works fine in flight - jumped straight out to post here so not tested elsewhere in game yet.
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

Return to “X4: Foundations”