A little trick for new players building their stations

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bubonosaure
x4

A little trick for new players building their stations

Post by Bubonosaure » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 02:46

It's especially good to know for new X4 players. When you buy a new plot on which to build your station on, leave the -x axis to a minimum such as 2km and expand the plot with the +x axis. It will look something like [+x: 18km ; -x: 2km]. The reason for that is fairly simple. When ships land at your station, they first go to a rally point before being dispatched by the station manager. The icon you see on your map is effectively the rally point. If you build a perfect square [+x:10km ; -x:10km], the rally point will be at the center of the plot, leading to problems such as ships trying to go through modules on top of the rally point. It looks stupid and it slows down traffic when you're in the vicinity (unit collision is not turned on when you're OOS (out of sector).

So, by doing this little trick, you will push the rally point to the border of the plot and you won't have to worry about it as you setup your station.

Here's a picture to illustrate how that will look.
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/20 ... 4826-1.jpg

Falcrack
x4

Re: A little trick for new players building their stations

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 03:58

Or egosoft could fix their system and make the rally point some place outside the station plot. That would work too.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 04:32

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 03:58
Or egosoft could fix their system and make the rally point some place outside the station plot. That would work too.
I'd opt for that definitely.

Thufar
x4

Post by Thufar » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 04:52

Really guys? We've got a new player to the X-verse, he offers a good suggestion and... the first thing you do is kick the Egosoft programming horse? Really?

Welcome to the X Universe Bubonosaura, and thanks. Your suggestion is well received in the spirit of the "old-school" forum posters (to help others enjoy the game more). Good job. This is something I will attempt to remember as I plan for my next complex.
Regards,
Thu

r4tch3t
x4

Post by r4tch3t » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 05:09

Bubonosaure wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 02:46
It's especially good to know for new X4 players. When you buy a new plot on which to build your station on, leave the -x axis to a minimum such as 2km and expand the plot with the +x axis. It will look something like [+x: 18km ; -x: 2km]. The reason for that is fairly simple. When ships land at your station, they first go to a rally point before being dispatched by the station manager. The icon you see on your map is effectively the rally point. If you build a perfect square [+x:10km ; -x:10km], the rally point will be at the center of the plot, leading to problems such as ships trying to go through modules on top of the rally point. It looks stupid and it slows down traffic when you're in the vicinity (unit collision is not turned on when you're OOS (out of sector).

So, by doing this little trick, you will push the rally point to the border of the plot and you won't have to worry about it as you setup your station.

Nice, I do the exact same thing and have my S&M docks below that point for easy docking.

waynetarlton
x4

Post by waynetarlton » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 05:22

Requiemfang wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 04:32
Falcrack wrote:
What about making the Dock the rally point?

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 06:15

waynetarlton wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 05:22
Requiemfang wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 04:32
Falcrack wrote:
What about making the Dock the rally point?
What if said dock is smack in the middle of the station with things around it? you run into the same issue as before. Yes the player can avoid the issue but the NPC stations cannot.

As for the other post about kicking the Egosoft programming horse, plain gist of it is it was BADLY implemented and any person with simple understanding would see the way it was done was bad. It wouldn't even take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Vaeo
x4

Post by Vaeo » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 09:14

Thank you so much for this.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 09:29

Thanks! Was wondering before how could I move that darn point further away lol.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 09:37

Falcrack wrote:
the rally point should be at the top of the plot, exactly where it is now just glue it to the celling
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Grimmrog
x4

Post by Grimmrog » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 10:44

Buzz2005 wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 09:37
Falcrack wrote:
the rally point should be at the top of the plot, exactly where it is now just glue it to the celling
the player should be able to design the rally point, becaus enot everyone wants to probably build a base with the docks on top.

SPiDER
x4

Post by SPiDER » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 11:04

another tip for new station builders is the right click highlight " Copy Sequence " that makes life easier.

Also when making mega plex's dont create the grid then think to add stations. with so many add points it becomes very difficult to place exactly.

The other big drawback at the moment when making a megaplex is that when each new module or part is added the game does a calculation or update of some kind and with a megaplex situation thats a lot of modules and it causes the game to freeze and lag while it does this before going on to build the next part ( loads of frustration till I figured out what it was ) . ( saw a German poster had the same problem )
What I havent figured out is whether it is the queue length of building or just size ( the two I have going at the moment were 350 million plus cost each at 15% prices and have taken DAYS of in game tme and are only half built )

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 12:03

Grimmrog wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 10:44
Buzz2005 wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 09:37
Falcrack wrote:
the player should be able to design the rally point, becaus enot everyone wants to probably build a base with the docks on top.
docks can be anywhere bc ships go to the rally point first, and if its above the whole station no matter where the docks are ships will not fly in to the station first then bug out thru to the docks
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

MurryChang
x4

Post by MurryChang » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 16:24

Any hints about rotating the dock modules with 3 docks for the L ships? They can only face left as far as I can tell, left clicking on them just makes them disappear. I've built a few on one station by stacking them vertically but not being able to rotate them like every other module seems broken?

Fame
x4

Post by Fame » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 19:50

MurryChang wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 16:24
Any hints about rotating the dock modules with 3 docks for the L ships? They can only face left as far as I can tell, left clicking on them just makes them disappear. I've built a few on one station by stacking them vertically but not being able to rotate them like every other module seems broken?
Hello,

What i do in that case is place the modules inside the plot ( boundaries), in this case it will have a green color if it´s outside plot boundaries its red. Once place inside plot boundaries click with the left mouse botton ( selection) if needed. Them use right mouse button ( keep pressed ) and move the cursor to the side that you pretend... at this moment it will rotate ... release when happy the use the left button to place it where you want ... it takes some time to get used to it... good place to start might be the tutorial and trying things out, etc... the rest i guess comes with practise :)

Ps: When i start a new factory i do place an dock for L-ship but since i really do not use them in the inicial stage i delete it and add it once i really need it, well than i add... that way a factory "building plan" is done in such i way that i know where i need to keep things clear to add an l-dock sometime down the road and all the connection are already in place, so i avoid re-aranging things later on.

Hope this helps, sorry for any tipos

Fame
Its a problem if you don´t have any problems.

Fame
x4

Post by Fame » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 19:52

Bubonosaure wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 02:46

Thanks i didn´t know that :)

MurryChang
x4

Post by MurryChang » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 19:54

Fame wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 19:50
MurryChang wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 16:24
Hello,

What i do in that case is place the modules inside the plot ( boundaries), in this case it will have a green color if it´s outside plot boundaries its red. Once place inside plot boundaries click with the left mouse botton ( selection) if needed. Them use right mouse button ( keep pressed ) and move the cursor to the side that you pretend... at this moment it will rotate ... release when happy the use the left button to place it where you want ... it takes some time to get used to it... good place to start might be the tutorial and trying things out, etc... the rest i guess comes with practise :)

Ps: When i start a new factory i do place an dock for L-ship but since i really do not use them in the inicial stage i delete it and add it once i really need it, well than i add... that way a factory "building plan" is done in such i way that i know where i need to keep things clear to add an l-dock sometime down the road and all the connection are already in place, so i avoid re-aranging things later on.

Hope this helps, sorry for any tipos

Fame
Yep that's how all other modules work but no matter where I have it on the screen left click on the L module just makes it disappear. I have numerous factories and have no problems with any other modules except the L docks. Guess I'll put a post in the support forum.

Fame
x4

Post by Fame » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 20:14

Just checking... are you certain that your plot has the right size ? If yes than there might be something going on, indeed... but checking the integrity of your game via steam could/should by an option to be considered if you havent tried it out already. Never had a problem with building an factory but i have only 3 of them anyway. Re-arranged several times, etc.

Fame

Belgarath
x4

Post by Belgarath » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 20:28

MurryChang wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 19:54
Yep that's how all other modules work but no matter where I have it on the screen left click on the L module just makes it disappear. I have numerous factories and have no problems with any other modules except the L docks. Guess I'll put a post in the support forum.
The Pier (which is what the dock for L/XL ships is called) can be a bit tricky to get placed because of the space requirements. The big rectangles indicate the approach vectors for each of the docking points and they have to be completely clear of any obstacles. The module will be green when that's the case. What I generally do is place the pier where it has no obstructions, like below everything else, rotate it (using the left mouse button) to the orientation I want, then place it. If it's far enough below, or above the rest of the structure, it should stay green and you'll be able to move it into position at that point. Don't worry about the approach vector rectangles, if they go outside the building plot, then all the better, as long as the pier itself is inside the plot and none of the other station structure encroaches on the approach vectors.
The new PC I just built for myself:
i5-13600k, 32GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3060 12GB
It'll do until I can upgrade the graphics card.

MurryChang
x4

Post by MurryChang » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 20:32

Belgarath wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 20:28
MurryChang wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 19:54
The Pier (which is what the dock for L/XL ships is called) can be a bit tricky to get placed because of the space requirements. The big rectangles indicate the approach vectors for each of the docking points and they have to be completely clear of any obstacles. The module will be green when that's the case. What I generally do is place the pier where it has no obstructions, like below everything else, rotate it (using the left mouse button) to the orientation I want, then place it. If it's far enough below, or above the rest of the structure, it should stay green and you'll be able to move it into position at that point. Don't worry about the approach vector rectangles, if they go outside the building plot, then all the better, as long as the pier itself is inside the plot and none of the other station structure encroaches on the approach vectors.
I can literally make the plot the maximum size, put my the Pier(that's right, thanks) in the middle of it with nothing else laid out at all, left click and it disappears. It attaches fine when I set things up so that it will connect facing left, I even have a station where I have 3 of them stacked vertically, but left click just makes it disappear.

I think I'm gonna take the suggestion of the guy above you and verify my game files, it can't hurt at least.

Return to “X4: Foundations”