I need a story mode.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

lyubarskiy
x4

I need a story mode.

Post by lyubarskiy » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 20:35

I just realized that a major reason why I feel that the game world is lonely and not alive is due the fact that I haven't engaged in any story.
I feel like the mere fact that we had a story in X3 game the feeling, ever when sandboxing, that there is a living faction out there doing their thing and I am not alone.

I really hope we get some sort of story for X4.

Thecrippler

Re: I need a story mode.

Post by Thecrippler » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 20:41

Wait in til 2020

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 21:04

Well the game isn't built to support a story. However despite that, some story plots wouldn't hurt.

Maybe the X4 universe feels empty because we are so accustomed to the fake stories the X games used to immerse us with?

TDQuasar
x4

Post by TDQuasar » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 21:21

lyubarskiy wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 20:35
I really hope we get some sort of story for X4.
+1
X4 Foundations videos ***NOT MODIFIED***
X Rebirth Vanilla Plot videos
X Rebirth videos
I also have a lot of older ***NOT MODIFIED*** X3 videos.

pvarn

Post by pvarn » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 23:17

You bought the game having the whole internet at your disposal with both pro and user reviews informing us this was a space sandbox game with no story script.
There are other space sandbox games such as Elite:Dangerous and the alpha-test Star Citizen which are also sandbox with SC's parallel story game: Squadron42. While X Rebirth had a story mission path, it broke down too easily.
Seems Egosoft went back to what they got right in the earlier game and abandoned the story script which was often a fail point in many other games where an unexpected choice by the player would crash the story or the whole game.
The more complicated the story and it's branches, the more bugs and crashes. Another problem with story driven content is many players get to the end of it in only a few hours and cry about how shallow the game is.
I buy sandbox games on purpose for the lasting experience and replay value. I'm not a fantasy role player. I could not care less what my character name is or if the ship pilot I just dusted brushes his teeth. I bought this game knowing what I was buying (a space based database-driven economic empire game) and accepted this is what I wanted not expecting the developer to change the design of the game to please an audience they did not advertise to.
-Pv-

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 23:55

repatomonor wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 21:04
Well the game isn't built to support a story. However despite that, some story plots wouldn't hurt.

Maybe the X4 universe feels empty because we are so accustomed to the fake stories the X games used to immerse us with?
Seeing as ES is looking to hire someone who can do missions and write stories I think they are planning on adding plots down the road, them seeking out hiring someone who can ACTUALLY write a good story is a nice change of pace, I always felt they were lacking is the story telling department with how shallow plots in previous games felt.

TDQuasar
x4

Post by TDQuasar » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 23:59

pvarn wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 23:17
I buy sandbox games on purpose for the lasting experience and replay value.
Well that's how YOU like it. On the other hand the X Universe has lore, history, historic characters and events. So an empty sandbox is just weird. It's been always a great feeling that the player was part of history. Furthermore, in previous X games while you had a storyline you also had the choice to run the game as a sandbox. There was a dedicated game start for those players who preferred that option. So you could still do it your way.

Unfortunately, with this new dynamic galaxy plugging in plots will be quite difficult. Especially if you already have an evolved galaxy with sectors belonging to new owners etc. But I'm sure technically it's still doable.
X4 Foundations videos ***NOT MODIFIED***
X Rebirth Vanilla Plot videos
X Rebirth videos
I also have a lot of older ***NOT MODIFIED*** X3 videos.

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 10:59

I didn't much care for the XR story/mission on rails. Games never really had a story but it had lore and encyclopedia entries. Adding more data vaults and encyclopedia entries would be great. If they can add some story elements that would be neat if optional and avoidable (XR skunk opener wasn't). More missions would be good too.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 13:43

Also find myself missing story/plots similar to those we had in previous X games, rather more than I expected to. Think mostly because because it's a good way of learning the lore through interactions with NPCs. In XR, for example, it was quite clear what had happened in each sector & how their recent history differed. Also a good way of getting across some of the characteristics of each species - in X2 & the various iterations of X3 I was left in no doubt that at some point a Paranid would want to rip me off (to the tune of several million), normally with a number divisible by three. Much as I enjoy X4 (think many of it's game mechanics are far superior to the older games), do really miss those deeper interactions with NPCs.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 00:36

'tis true a story line really helps immersion & a sense of involvement, also spikes the imagination.
I really missed the story right from the start in X4, but I guess it's a large effort for ego' that won't happen...this time round

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 00:53

The lack of plots is a major issue for me, probably one of the many reasons I simply cant be bothered to play the game. It's about making a believable universe and then setting us free within in. I made a thread about it long before release.

Even a BBS news board would at least inject some sense of reason into X4.

Kazuma
x4

Post by Kazuma » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 04:51

Im in the sandbox camp for sure.

However, vignettes and C plots littered throughout the game wouldn't hurt and should be easy enough to drop in and isolated enough to stay out the simulations way.

I would certainly welcome any dynamic scripted events such as a rival water merchant attacking or sabotaging my ice trade rather than some rubbish faction guild things.

The problem, to me, is in the fundamental game play loop. There is simply no real threat or challenge to the players ascension. Most everything, if not everything that is worth doing, can be done as a tangent to your power trading.

Iguanabob
x4

Post by Iguanabob » Sun, 3. Feb 19, 21:45

pvarn wrote:
You bought the game having the whole internet at your disposal with both pro and user reviews informing us this was a space sandbox game with no story script.
There are other space sandbox games [...]
This "you dont have to buy it" attitude definitely has to go, its such a laughable non-argument. Even more so for the X-series which only caters to a small niche group which means they should be happy with the product.
It's alright and well that sandbox alone is enough to keep YOU entertained, but seeing as each previous X-Game had a more or less fleshed out storyline makes coming to expect one not really something outlandish.
I guess noone really expects a masterpiece of storywriting here, but rather something to do apart from building and fighting, seeing as both aspects are not really THAT entertaining in the long run.
pvarn wrote:
While X Rebirth had a story mission path, it broke down too easily.
X-Rebirth's story broke down due to lackluster implementation and the game's financial failure NOW limits Egosoft'S possibilities of what they can include and what needs to be pushed back.
pvarn wrote:
Seems Egosoft went back to what they got right in the earlier game and abandoned the story script which was often a fail point in many other games where an unexpected choice by the player would crash the story or the whole game.
X-R had a pretty extensive story for an X-game, the X3-series even had seveal plot lines so I'm not sure what you're on about.
Also name 3 of those "many other games". I'd be rly interested in youf picks. I can't think of even one.

Andoulline
x4

Post by Andoulline » Sun, 3. Feb 19, 21:50

TDQuasar wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 23:59
Unfortunately, with this new dynamic galaxy plugging in plots will be quite difficult. Especially if you already have an evolved galaxy with sectors belonging to new owners etc. But I'm sure technically it's still doable.
Well they could just tie plot start conditions to factions actually owning the relevant sectors. Sortof how you had to be in certain places with certain ranks in X3 for certain plots to start and such.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 4. Feb 19, 00:07

My wife used to be interested watching in play through X3, but that was primarily because she was interested in the story. With all sandbox and no story, she quickly lost interest.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Mon, 4. Feb 19, 00:29

Falcrack wrote:
Mon, 4. Feb 19, 00:07
My wife used to be interested watching in play through X3, but that was primarily because she was interested in the story. With all sandbox and no story, she quickly lost interest.
Really?

I mean, there are games that rely heavily on the plot and tell a story that's heart touching.

And then there's X3, that's story is emotionless and almost unimpressive. Hell, as cheesy as it was, X2's plot had the most psychological investment with Brett's sacrifice and everything.

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Mon, 4. Feb 19, 00:58

weird doublepost
Last edited by Shehriazad on Mon, 4. Feb 19, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Mon, 4. Feb 19, 00:59

I don't want one big story...I'd prefer many small stories for each faction that don't put you as the big hero but instead just give you your place as an (important) cog in a big machine. Here some EXAMPLES

Boron PHQ
So you get the Boron PHQ quest first and then the Split DLC arrives and they go crazy for the missing Boron.

At some point the Boron appear and it escalates into a small war no one but you, the Boron and Split know about, you manage to win for the side that you support (your choice) and DONE.

Story ARC complete...no big omfg save the world, you get to experience other story arcs now.

Xenon
After doing some Xenon War missions for the Argon you get called in as a special helper because you're so amazing or whatever. They tell you that unique Xenon ship designs have been sighted. You go deep into uncharted space and try to steal the blueprints for those ships.
You successfully steal them but only just in time for the Xenon to finish the first wave of those new ships. L-Class Destroyers with batshit crazy weaponry and some modified M ships and Xenon drones.

You manage to beat them but from now on you will always see those new ships there as well...STORY ARC COMPLETE.

Pirates
You join the pirates. After a while of running missions for them they see how useful you are and enlist you to steal new secret ship-designs from the Teladi. You do a little fun spy and steal mission and bring back the blueprint. You hand it over to them and are asked to return later.
Ba-da-bing-ba-da-boom they already twisted the original blueprints into a Marauder-style ship and you get one of the first ones' as gift, now have access to the original AND the marauder and can build both of them at your own shipyard in the future.

That way everyone would get a nice piece of the cake. The Devs don't have to invest too much into a huge 20+ hour story but can instead release small bits here and there and since every faction can get some...they don't have to make every story about you being the vanilla good guy saving the world from hentai monsters. Players get to experience many small bite-sized adventures that they can unlock or find and people who only care about dominating the universe economically or with WAR also don't really get put behind a huge "Do this 20 hours of quests to unlock the game" bullcrap.

El Novato
x4

Post by El Novato » Mon, 4. Feb 19, 04:07

I´d like all sort of stories, from those short and simple to a complex big finale and on the middle term.

I think it´s better for immersion see the changes of what you do in your involvement in the Universe, and those that don´t wanna can go with the sandbox anyway. I just want all cakes.

sintri
x4

Post by sintri » Mon, 4. Feb 19, 06:14

X and X2 had a nice story, cheesy as hell but it was solid performance for the most part. X3 seriously cannot remember what it was even about, plus don't remember tc or ap having a story. Wasn't expecting much from X4 but was surprised when it just abruptly stops once you rescue the Boron. Pretty sure there was no guidance to start the initial mission,
Spoiler
Show
then it's just blowing up your ship, finding the station, and rescue the guy
and it's over?

Return to “X4: Foundations”