X-TRA POLLS Round #5 | What type of ship do you primarily use?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

What type of ship do you primarily use?

Poll ended at Wed, 29. May 24, 13:08

Small ships
21%
Medium ships
57%
Large ships
9%
Extra Large ships
9%
Other
3%

Total votes: 117

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

X-TRA POLLS Round #5 | What type of ship do you primarily use?

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 15. May 24, 13:08

Greetings, Members of the X-Community!

The last poll has concluded and we've received some insane numbers on your favourite races.
Thank you for voting, especially if you took the liberty to voice your opinion and gave us feedback!

The next poll is: “What type of ship do you primarily use?”
Note: To be precise, we are interested in the size of the ship you tend to use as your primary player ship (the one you spend the most time in). The "Other" poll option refers to anything else; for instance, if you usually spend your time on space stations instead of ships. Feel free to be specific by commenting on what you actually fly!

How does the Poll work?
Every two weeks, we’ll be rolling out polls in the forum where you can weigh in on crucial aspects of our games. Your votes will play a key role in helping us gather valuable insights to shape the future of our games!

But hold on, there’s more! Beyond just data collection, we’re keen on fostering discussions and hearing your thoughts. Alongside each poll, there’s a dedicated discussion thread going on where you can share your insights, ideas, and feedback related to the poll topic. It’s not only a great way to engage with fellow gamers but also an opportunity for us to gather additional valuable input.

However, it’s important to note that while we value your input, the results of the polls won’t necessarily guarantee implementation or consideration.
These polls are primarily for fun and data gathering.

So, get ready to have your voice heard in The X-tra Polls! Let’s shape our beloved X-Universe together!

Previous Polls:
Poll #4: Which is your favourite race of the playable races?
Poll #3: How long have you been playing your current savegame?
Poll #2: Which phase do you enjoy the most in X4: Foundations?
Poll #1: In your opinion, which X4: Foundations expansion was the most worthwhile?

mr.WHO
x4

Re: X-TRA POLLS Round #5 | What type of ship do you primarily use?

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 15. May 24, 13:25

Medium - corvette for combat (Katana or Hydra), frigate for exploration (Falx or Cobra).
Last edited by mr.WHO on Wed, 15. May 24, 16:09, edited 2 times in total.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 15. May 24, 13:34

Tomonor wrote:
Wed, 15. May 24, 13:08
If you usually spend your time on space stations instead of ships. Feel free to be specific by commenting on what you actually fly![/i]
I spend most of my time in my personal office. Other than that it really depends on the situation, S or L would probably be the next highest.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Wed, 15. May 24, 15:29

Really depends on the state of my save.

Early on I use S and M ships for money-making. In a default start, I'll mine crystals or gather war loot for money to get tier 3 equipment on my basic fighter. Use that to scout for a while, then start to bail M ships, until I get an M with enough firepower to go capture L's. I might use an L to capture XL ships or just cripple them with my M and bring in cheap M transporters separately. This is pretty consistent for me, I've just done it too many times to want to dawdle at the start of the game for long.

Later I tend to have a set of ships for personal use. For a while I'll have an L ship as my 'flagship'. I only personally fly it when I have to, mostly I just like to watch the battles from the bridge or external view. It's important to have though because with it I can clear limitless Xenon if need be. This later becomes an XL ship of some sort, usually Asgard or Erlking because with the light exception of the Raptor they're still the only XL ships that really do direct combat.

I'll have one or two corvettes, typically Dragon Raider and Kuraokami. Mostly my boarding is done with by the time I acquire these, so they're for story missions and fighting. Sometimes I have a frigate if I want to switch between M and S often in the same place during story stuff.

I collect a few S ships from the story but don't use them a lot. Instead in the later game I'll take over control of a carrier fighter if I feel like engaging in combat, since then I only need to teleport instead of moving a personal ship around. Mostly though I just chill on my capital ships watching at this point. Once I can afford to replace ships its fun to just let things play out and watch the fighting without the frustration of caring if they do something stupid.
***modified***

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 15. May 24, 15:43

This one is easy. I did learn to fly Dragon in X2. Therefore, I did fly Dragon in X3R, X3TC, and X3AP too (even though the X3 version was a different brick) and do fly Dragon Raider in X4. She is medium, so we lock medium as the correct answer.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Wed, 15. May 24, 16:07

Once I get long range teleport, I go everywhere. If a K shows up, I teleport to an L or XL to kill it. If it shows up near a defense station, I teleport to the station to watch how it performs. If there's a new sector to explore, I teleport to the scout that's going to explore it. If some SCA ship makes a bother of itself, I teleport to the L ship to board it or to the M ship to scan it and blow it up. If there's a delivery to be made that I want done fast, I teleport to the L trade ship to drive it myself.

There's definitely no "player ship." That was X3 and Rebirth, not X4.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Vovadrik
x4

Post by Vovadrik » Wed, 15. May 24, 16:55

Before ventures I used Moreya all the time, now Yasur. Because I need more SPEEEEEEEEED

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Wed, 15. May 24, 16:59

There should be an option as the map :lol:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 15. May 24, 17:10

My long-term personal ship and command post is a Split Cobra. Especially with in-game mods, it is sturdy, fast and shielded enough to dogfight with several other fighters at once and its 4 top turrets are great at keeping other targets busy or reducing incoming missiles while you concentrate on another target.

It is my through-game boarding ship with 25 marines usually roled as servicecrew that level up nicely as the game goes on. They are more than enough for most capital targets perhaps after a bit of personal target preparation. (I've even taken an Asgard with just them). The Cobra can mount a mix of 3 front weapons that collectively are ideal for different phases of boarding ops while retaining a great anti-fighter capability and for securing S/M bails.

The beauty is that you even get at least one Cobra free via the plots.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Vovadrik
x4

Post by Vovadrik » Wed, 15. May 24, 17:25

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 15. May 24, 17:10
My long-term personal ship and command post is a Split Cobra. Especially with in-game mods, it is sturdy, fast and shielded enough to dogfight with several other fighters at once and its 4 top turrets are great at keeping other targets busy or reducing incoming missiles while you concentrate on another target.

It is my through-game boarding ship with 25 marines usually roled as servicecrew that level up nicely as the game goes on. They are more than enough for most capital targets perhaps after a bit of personal target preparation. (I've even taken an Asgard with just them). The Cobra can mount a mix of 3 front weapons that collectively are ideal for different phases of boarding ops while retaining a great anti-fighter capability and for securing S/M bails.

The beauty is that you even get at least one Cobra free via the plots.
You can capture or destroy Asgard even with S ship, it is just a question of time :twisted:

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 15. May 24, 18:22

M ships, Kuraokami (modded with Whirlygig/Traction/Nanotube/Annihilator on main weapons/Expeditor on Turrets) I am mostly in.
Overall its my favourite ship.

Would love to be in a Boron Hydra a lot, or a Thresher, really like those ships and the combination of Boron weapon effects on the Thresher are amazing .. But its the all round visibility in the cockpit of the Kuraokami that wins it for me, whether as pilot myself or riding shotgun (jumping up onto the central cockpit divider, where you can see all round up/down/sideways). The Hydra and Thresher in the visibility department (especially when riding shotgun and not the pilot) is a bit like the Split ships, too restricted by the style of the cockpit.
Something else about the Thresher - The 3 seats in the cockpit being so close together, if you are riding shot gun, you are always being walked into by a Navigator NPC with itchy feet, really puts me off riding shot gun in that ship.

I know we can now use third person perspective, but immersively I prefer 1st person perspective.

Other ships .. Really I use all of them depending on the task at hand. But out of preference I love the Ray, or the Rattlesnake.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 15. May 24, 18:24

Mostly medium, specifically the frigates. I do a lot of generic & guild missions throughout each game, for which the frigates' high capacity for deployables & S dock are ideal features. I generally use the latter to carry an S miner, in order to extend the range of missions which can be completed with just the ships I have on hand. Couple of exceptions to this when playing as Boron or Teladi. For those games tend to fly their respective destroyer instead, due to the complete lack of a Boron frigate & the tediously slow travel speed of the Osprey making it unpleasant to fly personally. Have also spent a fair bit of time flying M miners - the non-military classification can be handy when one or more of the main factions don't much like me (i.e. when my rep is such that they'll ignore a miner, but shoot on sight if I'm flying a warship).

xant
x4

Post by xant » Wed, 15. May 24, 18:43

If it's for personal use, then I really like the freedom and sturdiness of a Katana or Nemesis, or sitting in my Astrid and managing everything from my chair. Except if I have to clean out some Xenon sector (or other heavy lifting), then I take a Rattlesnake, Syn or Odysseus. But whenever I can, I stick to M.

It's maybe worth noting that the vast majority of my ships is large, though. Be it the mining fleets, most combat ships, or freighters, most of my owned ships are L.

I just wish we had more XL freighters, it feels a bit strange to use the Erlking in that role. It's a combat ship, a unique one at that, but good lord is this thing spacious and very fast over big distances.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 15. May 24, 19:43

Most recent playthrough, the Yassur, because of the enormous speed and also excellent guns.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 15. May 24, 20:45

My Perigine Vanguard named KNOCK KNOCK.. best ship of all especially when crewed by Paranid (The Master Race) ... Favourite target Terran's. I cannot believe they got such a poor showing in the last Poll, tooooo many office boys playing with their tea cups sat precariously on their desks waiting to be sipped.

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Wed, 15. May 24, 21:05

Difficult, I primaily use Yasur, Hydra Regal and Erlking. I voted medium ships because I'm more active with Hydra Regal. With Erlking I'm often to lazy to even use the main cannon and let the turrets duke it out. A lot of my time with Yasur is spent in autopilot.
Last edited by Crimsonraziel on Thu, 16. May 24, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

SwizzleStick86
x4

Post by SwizzleStick86 » Wed, 15. May 24, 22:01

It used to be S ships, then L ships as the save progresses....then yall introduced the hydra...so 90%of the time is in my Hydra Regal (which of course I name after my cat).
"It can only be attributable to human error."
-HAL 9000

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Wed, 15. May 24, 22:11

S.....They are much use-, and powerful than M's in the right hands and harder to hit.

Also faster for traveling around, you can dock on L,XL and the shield reload is great and ideal for good fights.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Wed, 15. May 24, 22:22

Big ships (L, XL). I'm in this game to see my turrets firing and watch attacking ships exploding.

I hate the S ship phase (only use them as shuttles and for the very early phase) and the M ship class in this game is the worst ship class in the whole series. (pity, used to fly them a lot in X² / X³)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

castleberger
x4

Post by castleberger » Thu, 16. May 24, 00:06

Barbarossa by far. It's fast and has a lot of guns. Most importantly, it has a huge crew capacity (126) for a destroyer. In other words, I really like boarding.

Return to “X4: Foundations”