[#2028]7.00 BETA BUG persistent autopilot

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Anomie
x4

[#2028]7.00 BETA BUG persistent autopilot

Post by Anomie » Thu, 11. Apr 24, 17:23

When I teleport to my ships and take the control, I always have to turn off the autopilot before I can do anything.

Eben8R
x4

[Beta 7.00 Beta 2][BUG] Ship in travel mode but not indicated (orange glow) when taking command.

Post by Eben8R » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 13:55

Ordering a ship with Pilot to go somewhere (do anything). If I take command of the ship from the pilot, it's in auto-pilot and travel mode. When I turn off auto-pilot it's still in Travel mode but does not indicate it is (no orange). I have to turn it on to turn it off.

Eben8R
x4

Re: [#2028]7.00 BETA BUG persistent autopilot

Post by Eben8R » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 15:13

Anomie wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 24, 17:23
When I teleport to my ships and take the control, I always have to turn off the autopilot before I can do anything.
Right, but once I turn auto-pilot off I'm in travel mode... Sure. But travel mode isn't actually turned on (no orange glow) it's going full speed like it's on - not slowing down. I have to hit (shift - 1) to turn it on, then again to turn it off to slow down.

Tommzen
x4

Post by Tommzen » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 15:27

Anomie wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 24, 17:23
I agree
Ryzen 7 5800X3D // Asus ROG STRIX X570-E // 32GB G.Skill TZ ROYAL DDR4 PC 3600 CL16 4x8GB // 250GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 + 1000GB Corsair MP600 M.2 2280 PCIe 4.0 // SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 5700 XT NITRO+ // 850 Watt Corsair HXi Series HX850i // Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Ed // Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT // Bildschirm: LG 34UC79G-B

"To many drawn things" 😅

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 09:48

This seems like maybe the same/related thing I have noticed in both 6.20 and the beta 7..

Now and then I take control of a ship which is docked, which I put there after removing and order and assignments. What it will have remaining in the orders queue will be the final "Dock & Wait" only.

Anyhow, I take control of the ship and upon undocking the ship will I guess be on autopilot more or less, but I assume it's somehow a residual bit of it's previous assignment/order(s). I don't imagine it's because of D&W that I used to have the NPC land.

I got in the habit of clearing the queue before I undock to avoid the ship having ghost commands take over when I undock.

When I have taken control of a working ship generally I think it was okay. I expect it to be doing something when I teleport to it, but think the ship has always stopped once I get in the pilots seat. What I have wondered though, is that if the 'drop in/drop out' control of ships has somehow contributed to the stuff above that I have mentioned... mainly due to other quirks with that I have noticed. EG: sometimes depending on what I do I guess when in control, the ship will have it's prior dock and wait resume before some order I just gave it.

I suppose that specific oddity is probably correct basically and it's what I have done once taking control and then expecting after.. me not accounting for the order the NPC picks back up and executes.

Have any of you experienced the autopilot like action upon undocking a ship you've taken control of?

Khugan
x4

Post by Khugan » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 11:11

This was definitely around in 6x including the fact that auto-pilot will no turn off sometimes. You must leave the pilot seat and take over again.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 12:34

Yes, I see this in my current v6.2 game. I teleport to a ship of mine - that's currently under control of the Pilot - and often, when I take the Pilot's seat control isn't yielded to me until I use the AP Toggle key. The ship ISN'T on Autopilot of course, as that only works when there's a destination set, but the AP key does give control back to the player. I've had various weirdness when I've gotten into the Pilot's seat:

- Ship is stationary, but totally unresponsive to inputs until I press the AP key.
- Ship is stuck yawing/rolling, it's basically trying to level its self, like it does when the Pilot takes over when the player leaves the seat.
- Ship appears to still be following the same order as when the Pilot was in the seat.

Sometimes, there's a weird delayed effect. I.e. I've teleported to the ship, gotten into the Pilot's seat, pressed the AP key to properly gain control and all seems fine. Then the ship engages Travel Mode - it wasn't me! I guess the ship, when it was under AI control moments earlier, was perhaps about to engage Travel Mode?

It's been normal for me, since v6.x, to teleport to a ship, press Shift + a to actually gain control, then tap Backspace to ensure the ship is stationary. Basically, it looks like whatever orders the AI Pilot was previously following aren't properly cleared at lot of the time. The bug was introduced in one of the v6.2 versions, and reported at the time. Tricky to reproduce, it can happen regularly, but do a save just before it happens, then load that save, and you can bet it WON'T happen when trying to repeat the steps. Perhaps someone has had some luck in that regard?

Note: Docked ships are of course not and issue, but if I teleport to and take control of ships that are say running a "Protect Position" order, or maybe they're assigned to station defence, then the issue will usually be present. I often nab a ship, or group of ships, that already have a job for my own use during the early-game when I don't have that many ships.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 02:18

Strange.. I don't take control mid-flight that often, but when I have recently, the ship stopped when the relief pilot go out of the seat. Honestly I don't recall if I had any oddity after taking control.. Some of the quirks, I just deal with mindlessly in X games. ;-)

BUT, I have had in 6.20 and the beta the loss of control upon undock after taking control of a docked ship. Actually more times than I can remember and even worked out the habit of clearing anything in the queue because it was always a sort of jump-scare to have the ship start flying itself after I undock it.

..now that I think about it again, it could be related to when I 'remove all order and assignments' -- I know sometimes I have ordered the NPC to dock and wait with it's default assignment instact, clearing it after they dock. Other times I clear it while the NPC remains in control, flying and the revert to 'hold position'.

Monstrosity
x4

Post by Monstrosity » Wed, 24. Apr 24, 23:53

7.00 Beta 3

- A description of the problem and its symptoms, including any error messages received.

I was in a Discoverer Vanguard with an AI pilot conducting a "Fly and Wait" order. I took over by clicking the chair twice and shifted to Scan mode (Ctrl+3). Ship was still in Travel mode max speed. I had to cancel my "autopilot", which activated automatically upon sitting I guess, then I tried to stop by pressing backspace. Alerts notified me my "Engines Stopped" however, that was not the case. (Screenshot 1). Upon enabled travel mode again and back off, I was able to exit Travel Mode.

- Any additional information that could help trace the problem, including screenshots, crash dump files and savegames (see below).

Screenshot 1: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/aj4w2vro ... al483&dl=0
Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2q7zw0htjec6 ... fwqty&dl=0

I believe what I'm describing is this same bug. Providing screenshot and save game of my ship currently stuck in this instance.

Falcrack
x4

Cannot stop travel drive after entering cockpit when autopilot is enabled

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 02:26

Please see the attached save. Pause the game before it starts. As soon as it starts up,

1. Click on the pilot seat to have the pilot leave, and take control of the ship. You have to be very quick about it, or else it will drop out of travel drive before you sit down. The autopilot is on, and travel drive is active.
2. Try stopping the engine by pressing the "Stop engine" button. The travel drive refuses to shut off, no matter how many times you press it.

The only way to stop the travel drive is to turn on the travel drive mode, then off again, or enabling the autopilot. Pressing the Stop Engine button normally disables travel drive, but not in this case.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OeMnK4 ... sp=sharing

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”