NEWS: Update 1.2.1 hotfix now available for X³: Terran Conflict

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 18:28

CBJ, have you contacted VALVe? The patch files may have been lost during the upgrade of their hardware :roll:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 18:58

cconly wrote:I just don't see that there's any advantage to posting yet another dxdiag file.
Knowing what system specifications are and are not affected by performance problems helps a lot with narrowing down the cause. If you don't want to post your report then that's up to you, but please don't discourage others from doing so.
supakillaii wrote:CBJ, have you contacted VALVe?
Sheesh, I'd never have thought of doing that. :roll:

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 19:09

Perhaps my Sarcasminator 5k is over-reacting but seeign at it moved, you have contacted them?

AdrianB1
x3tc

Post by AdrianB1 » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 19:24

Did they provide you some *hint* on the patch availability? It's quite boring to check every half hour or so. Thank you.

Gryphen76

Post by Gryphen76 » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 20:01

CBJ wrote:It's not a question of the patches being "compatible" with Steam. The Steam delivery system automatically checks your local game installation to keep it up to date. Any patch installed manually therefore runs the risk of being overwritten by Steam as part of that process, regardless of whether it is "compatible" or not.

Some people have managed to install the current 1.2.1 hotfix and disable automatic updates, but this isn't really advisable as you may miss it when the hotfix becomes available over Steam. A better answer for most people is just to be a little patient (and take into account things like weekends and timezone differences) and wait for Steam to sort things out at their end.
I have installed the 1.2.1 Hotfix, but I haven't turned off Automatic Updates for X3:TC within Steam. I'm willing to put up with the hassle of whatever issue this may cause, but I really don't see it being that big of a problem.

I suppose what it comes down to is how Steam checks the version of the installed software on the local machine. If it uses a cumulative registry entry, then I can see the Steam Downloader replacing files that the manual patch updated with Steam's version of the file, which shouldn't cause an issue with Gameplay or SaveGame compatibility. If it uses something like an MD5 Hash, then it should automatically see that the local machine's version is up-to-date, and not do anything at all.

So I think that those of us that have manually patched are safe. (Hopefully those aren't famous last words, lol)

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 20:06

CBJ wrote:It's not a question of the patches being "compatible" with Steam. The Steam delivery system automatically checks your local game installation to keep it up to date. Any patch installed manually therefore runs the risk of being overwritten by Steam as part of that process, regardless of whether it is "compatible" or not.

Some people have managed to install the current 1.2.1 hotfix and disable automatic updates, but this isn't really advisable as you may miss it when the hotfix becomes available over Steam. A better answer for most people is just to be a little patient (and take into account things like weekends and timezone differences) and wait for Steam to sort things out at their end.
Or just go get a boxed copy at Fry's electronics. ( us residents ) its an import so no its not an american release, just an easier way for those of us that are unhappy with or do not like steam to get it.

Would be silly to repurchase it just because of a late hotfix though. D2D is often 3 or more months late with a patch ( latest enhanced patch for children of the NIle for example ) But then D2D is less Draconian than steam. ANd doesnt carry this game specific.... just a comparison.

Meh up to you guys. Just thought id as this info here as well so it won't be missed by anyone who needs to know.

fishface60

Post by fishface60 » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 20:40

I've never had any problems with Steam so am prepared to wait for the patch, if it weren't for Steam I probably never would have discovered the X-Universe in the first place.

Big Bad Orca
x4

Post by Big Bad Orca » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 20:56

Most people who use steam seem to suggest that this is an unusual delay. I'm certainly hoping so!
My favourite memory of the X series was babysitting that TL across half the universe in XTension and finally arriving in Getsu Fune to be gifted the TL! I called her Big Bad Orca...

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 21:08

It IS a very unusual delay.

Ecthelion
x4

Post by Ecthelion » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 21:49

Incubi wrote: Or just go get a boxed copy at Fry's electronics. ( us residents ) its an import so no its not an american release, just an easier way for those of us that are unhappy with or do not like steam to get it.
In case you didn't know, Fry's is located mostly on the west coast. For those of us US residents in the mid-west (why isn't it "mid-east" :P) and east, GoGamer is still the best option for a retail copy.
Incubi wrote: Would be silly to repurchase it just because of a late hotfix though. D2D is often 3 or more months late with a patch ( latest enhanced patch for children of the NIle for example ) But then D2D is less Draconian than steam. ANd doesnt carry this game specific.... just a comparison.
Keep in mind that Steam doesn't handle every third-party game the same way. It's up the game's developer and publisher to choose the way it works. I have a few other third-party games on Steam, but they are all older games so patching isn't an issue. But the difference between the retail and Steam version of those games is only that the Steam version of the executable requires Steam to run. Just FYI.

I'm getting a little antsy for the patch myself, so I may apply the retail hotfix manually if it's not on Steam soon. I'd really hate to wait for the next major patch if this delay happens again.

That said, it's not a huge deal for me at the moment, because I'm spending most of my gaming time in Fallout 3 right now. But once I'm done with that game, I'll be itching for some X3:TC again.
Windows Windows 7 Release Candidate (64-bit)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
ATI HD 4850 1024MB
8GB RAM

-----------------------------------------------------
Pirate Identification Guide

Ampere
x3tc

Post by Ampere » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 23:56

I don't see this mentioned yet in the thread.

I just got home and my Steam version has updated to 1.2.1. Just wish I had time to play sometime in the next week...

renaultf1fan5
x4

Steam Updated

Post by renaultf1fan5 » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 00:02

finally. just to let everyone know

Chroniss
x3tc

Post by Chroniss » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 00:31

I manually updated back when the patch came out, steam just ran the update when I launched the game, and patched it (again I suppose). The only difference is that the launcher now states 1.2.1 correctly. Works fine though

Drainy
x3tc

Post by Drainy » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 00:42

Aye, looks like steam is fully up to date now, it just ran the patch when I started it up.

Distortionist
x4

Post by Distortionist » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 03:15

My 2 cents on choppyness..

Turn off your av ( antivirus ) completely, and stop the av services for the game, exit the software or any other software you have. many AVs will slow it down, I have tested a few.. AVG AVAST to name a few, I found the only AV I can leave running without noticable slowdown is symantec av corp, I did turn off auto-protect.. the other antiviruses even with it off things were slower, I had to stop their services. I did not test every av on the planet, and I use linux mostly so I have no AV in XP anymore. I use it for gaming only.
I have turned off most windows services I dont need, I removed java and adobe and all that crap from my startup...

If you guys havnt tried the above. try it if your somewhat technical.

Dont forget to turn your AV back on.

Ranix
x4

Post by Ranix » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 03:37

Thanks for that. I don't think any of us would have noticed, considering it took them so long we all patched manually.

mrakomor
x4

Post by mrakomor » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 09:13

Distortionist wrote:My 2 cents on choppyness..

Turn off your av ( antivirus ) completely,
It is a bad idea. I saw computers being infected in just a few seconds.

AdrianB1
x3tc

Post by AdrianB1 » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 09:18

Remove your LAN cable while you play and nobody will infect you. Even with the Internet connected if you have a router and the OS firewall you are quite safe.

Big Bad Orca
x4

Post by Big Bad Orca » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 09:35

AdrianB1 wrote:...you are quite safe.
Mmm... they sound like famous last words to me :wink:
My favourite memory of the X series was babysitting that TL across half the universe in XTension and finally arriving in Getsu Fune to be gifted the TL! I called her Big Bad Orca...

Tiedyeguy
x4

Post by Tiedyeguy » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 10:00

AdrianB1 wrote:Remove your LAN cable while you play and nobody will infect you. Even with the Internet connected if you have a router and the OS firewall you are quite safe.
I would like to point you towards a handy OT thread on the subject found HERE. Specifically on the topic of Firewalls:
DOES:
Stop naughty people getting at your computer over networks or the internet. Most firewalls will tell you when someone is attempting to access your computer (though the firewall that ships with Windows XP doesn't).
DOES NOT:
Stop viruses, spam, adware, spyware and all the other crap getting onto your computer. It is not some magic wand you wave to make everything alright.
Stop people logging onto your workspace on your computer if they’re sitting in front of it.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”