Modifying Turrets in X2

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

khemeher

Modifying Turrets in X2

Post by khemeher » Thu, 26. Apr 12, 04:40

I'm sorry for asking another n00b question, but I'm having difficulty finding information on this topic.

1) The X2 Text Editor gives you the option of adding in a turret. Can you do this simply by using the text editor on the TShips file, or do you need to go in & actually alter the geometry of the ship in question? In my example, I'm trying to add a turret on the Teladi Falcon M3. I'd like to add it in as either a rear turret similar to the Argon Nova, or an upper turret similar to the Osprey. I've tried simply dropping it in using TShips, but I appear to be doing something wrong, because the turret is both non-firing, and appears embedded in the rear end of the ship.

2) Can you simply drop in a gun bay into an existing turret by editing the TShips file, or do you have to do more? I keep trying to do this, but it always leaves me with 1 non-firing weapon.

3) How do you know what to enter into the Path ID field? I'm trying to add in a second gun to the turrets on the top & bottom of the Teladi Osprey, and this seems to be the culprit - although that's an assumption.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Shadow dream
x3tc

Post by Shadow dream » Thu, 26. Apr 12, 16:28

Well, you need both: geometrical update and set those in TShips.

A ship is made of several parts: main-body(single or multiple partet), engine, cockpit, turret, laser,...
If you want to add one of those you need to change this in the scene (-> cut) and/or body (-> v) This update gives you a changed scene of which you get informations as Path ID.
As long as the ship itself is not changed, your changes only remain theoretical. e.g the game looks for your additional turret (it places you "in it") but since there is no turret in the ship, you can't sit in it -> you get placed to the middle of the ship (in koordinates 0, 0, 0).

Same for guns: You can add them in TShips, but the ship itself has no additional gun that can fire. You will find the weapon in the ship's menu and even be able to mount a laser - but it won't fire without the ship's gun-body.

you'll need something like 3dsmax (paid) or gmax (free), Yagg and DBox2 for this kind of work.

Shadow
Wahre Gentlemen behalten sogar umzingelt von Löwen ihren Leitsatz: Ladies first.
Wann lernt die Gesellschaft endlich, dass Geld erst die Probleme macht, die wir haben?
[ external image ]
Topic - Gallery - Forum - Freiheit

khemeher

Post by khemeher » Thu, 26. Apr 12, 16:48

Gotcha. That really explains it.

So I'll go ahead & familiarize myself with the graphics modding section, which I've already located, and see what I can do.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but thanks for the prompt reply!

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”