is it possible to use joysticks in x3?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

flopsies

is it possible to use joysticks in x3?

Post by flopsies » Fri, 22. Jun 12, 09:00

I've been wondering this for a while now, since a mouse isn't the same as a stick when you're flying an M5.

Etyneo
x4

Post by Etyneo » Fri, 22. Jun 12, 09:02

X3TC and AP both support joysticks by default. Plug one in, make sure it works right, and look for the Game Controllers button on the launcher...

Then configure controls ingame.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Fri, 22. Jun 12, 13:39

I'm not sure how one plays these games WITHOUT a joystick...

I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. The game recognizes the presence of a joystick and allows you to re-map the buttons to whatever you wish. I have targetting on the buttons around the hat, missiles and laser fire on the triggers, and speed and strafing on the buttons on the left side of the base.

ConCorDian
x4

Post by ConCorDian » Fri, 22. Jun 12, 13:50

i use the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X... and again i think it is far better to play with the joystick... when i broke my joystick i tried playing with the mouse and keyboard and gave up after a few mins and never touched the game for over a week til my new joystick got delivered!!

N.B. you need to be careful with some joysticks as they can have some pretty awkward settings, for example i need to tell the game the throttle is not to be used in order for it to work :?
Last edited by ConCorDian on Fri, 22. Jun 12, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
find me on Steam
check out Roguey's Wiki - still under development

flopsies

Post by flopsies » Fri, 22. Jun 12, 19:16

Does anyone have any ideas for joysticks?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 22. Jun 12, 19:21

Hardware discussions, even those pertaining directly to the game, belong in the Off-Topic forum. I'll move this thread over for you so you don't have to start a new one there.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

ConCorDian
x4

Post by ConCorDian » Fri, 22. Jun 12, 19:41

in terms of which one?

id reckomend the Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X. the one im using now, its got a decent amount of functions, its got a nice heavy base which i like keeps it grounded properly, not like a lot of the lighter stick out there. nice comfortable throttle that can either be screwed onto the stick to act as a big single base or two seperated bases with cable connection between.

but best of all its only 40quid (UK) off of Amazon. which is relativly cheap... looking at a lot of the Hotas sticks they range 100quid plus. and ive used a few, and unless your a big Flight Sim fan who wants the massive setups, the T-Flight is a decent enough stick for its price.
find me on Steam

flopsies

Post by flopsies » Fri, 22. Jun 12, 20:40

Are the saitek ones any good? They made my keyboard and some Cyborg stuff I think

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 22. Jun 12, 22:14

flopsies wrote:Are the saitek ones any good? They made my keyboard and some Cyborg stuff I think
I use Saitek keyboard and joystick and love them both.

Authorised
x3ap

Post by Authorised » Fri, 22. Jun 12, 22:24

Just chiming in here - I use a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 - it's a superb stick and I've cherished it for many years. However the ides of playing X3 with a HOTAS is VERY appealing. I am aware though that Force Feedback hasn't really been "a thing" for a while now (I mean REAL force feedback, not rumble features). Are there any decent HOTAS setups which support force feedback or am I living in the past?

flopsies

Post by flopsies » Fri, 22. Jun 12, 23:14

Is this the HOTAS?

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Sat, 23. Jun 12, 00:37

flopsies wrote:Is this the HOTAS?
Wiki link

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 23. Jun 12, 00:50

I used to be a die-hard stick-jockey until TC reworked mouse control. Now I tend to use a Razor Naga and a Logitech G15 for the left, despite having a HOTAS (or so the missus tells me).

For KSP I use the HOTAS with the G15.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

flopsies

Post by flopsies » Sat, 23. Jun 12, 01:17

what are some good hotas?

ConCorDian
x4

Post by ConCorDian » Mon, 25. Jun 12, 12:55

what i would say is that HOTAS systems can be really good to play with... they can give you quite a few functions at your fingertips. i cant speak for compatibility of the HOTAS sticks with X as the only one ive personally used with these games is my thrustmaster.

i know 2 HOTAS sticks my mates have got can be damned good but i havnt used them on X... and they are fairly expensive.

Saitek X52 is one of them and i have played a few games (just not X) with it and its really comfortable, decent amount of controls and you can pretty much play in the dark since its got lights on everything. but it does have a MFD which can give ingame details... which i doubt will work on X, but it can apparently be programmed so weither or not you could make it work with X is another matter.

Thrustmaster Warthog is another that has an almost genuine feel to it.. again plenty functions and comfortable to use

then as i said a nice relativly cheap HOTAS is the T-Flight by thrustmaster, im not a big Flight Sim person so it does everything i need it to do. fairly comforatable, and it appears to be fairly robust, im pretty heavy handed with them and ive got 3 kids that love to pull, prod and chew on it and it holds upto them. so no complaints from me, and as i said before its one of the Cheaper HOTAS sticks on the market available to me anyways. i dont know about elsewhere in the world.

but that said yes a HOTAS stick is a handy peice of kit... but dont discount some of the standard sticks... my old stick was the Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless joystick, at its age id imagine it will be hard to find now but for the most part it was an excellent stick, very adjustable to get it just right for you... only thing i found was as time got on the little throttle "flap" got quite loose, and that stopped you holding speeds with it, i finnished up having to stop using it because it just dropped to 0 all the time.
find me on Steam

flopsies

More Joystick questions

Post by flopsies » Sat, 15. Sep 12, 06:48

I know that I already started a topic on this, but I thinks it's best not to bring it up again. I was thinking on buying the Logitech 3d extreme for X and Freespace. Any comments/suggestions?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 15. Sep 12, 14:08

Moved and merged with previous thread in Off Topic.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Re: More Joystick questions

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 15. Sep 12, 16:13

flopsies wrote:Logitech 3d extreme ... Any comments/suggestions?
Go for it. Works great. In X3, the throttle actually works better than my Thrustmaster HOTAS (although that is also a fine stick).

@Alan: Thank you.

KipperTheFish
x3tc

Post by KipperTheFish » Sun, 16. Sep 12, 00:27

The best part of the 3D extreme for me was the weight. It seems to stay where its put on the desk and not wander away from me when things get exciting. Highly recommended, and not the most expensive out there.
Pushing up the anti, I know you're gonna see me, Read 'em and weep, The deadman's hand again.

46_n_2
x3tc

Post by 46_n_2 » Mon, 17. Sep 12, 14:06

i use a thrustmaster t-flight stick x... no complaints what so ever...

started playing X3tc with the mouse... never wanna go back now :lol:

Return to “Off Topic English”