Drone Carrier Software 2 (DCS2) v2.07a

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 7. Dec 13, 01:59

Phier wrote:Ok now this is a cool script...

DrBullwinkle thanks so much for making and releasing this!
Thank you. I am glad that you like DCS2, Phier.
Phier wrote:The only issue seems to be bombers tend to not do much ...
This is in AP, XRM.
The problem with the bombers is caused by XRM. It will be fixed in the next version. Until then, you could try Anachron's fork (back a couple of pages).

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 09:32

DrB, love the script, works well as designed. But I've been playing this for a while, and it really isn't cooperating with CODEA all that well. Have not figured out why they're not happy together.

First issue: Drone Scimitars have a speed greater than 600.
Second: Assigning pilots to fighters sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Not sure if the "drones" have forbidden equipment (can't remember).
Third: if pilots get assigned, then assigning fighters to different hangars is interesting. Once you assign fighters to lets say "Patrol", they sometimes remain as PAT ships, sometimes don't, and when you go back to the Main Hangar to assign ships to another squadron (Attack), you'll see the PAT fighters in the list. The hangar assignment stuff is just not working correctly.

This happens regardless of clicking on ADS option, or just having the script build drones. I've tried various options in the menu, still get the same problems.

Just so you don't have to go searching, here's the CODEA requirements:
CODEA Weapon System
Ship equipment and ship class requirements:

CODEA Carrier

A carrier-class ship
Fight Command Software MK1
Fight Command Software MK2
Cargo Bay Life support System
Navigation Command Software MK1
Transporter Device (optional: enables catapult launch, required for CODEA Bombers)

CODEA Interceptor

A M3, M4 or M5 class ship
Pilot of the rank Recruit
At least one weapon installed
Landing Computer (optional: enables combat landing)

CODEA Attack fighter

At least one weapon installed

CODEA Cargo Salvage

A M3, M4, or M5 class ship
Special Command Software MK1
Cargo bay life support system (optional: enables the salvage of pilots)

CODEA Reconnaissance

A M5 class ship
Triplex or Duplex Scanner

CODEA Patrol

FORBIDDEN STUFF
Boost extension
SETA
Video enhancement goggles
Would be nice if your script cooperated with CODEA; they're both great additions to the game. Now that XR came out, I'm back to my X3AP empire....

Thanks!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 10:08

Thanks, I am glad that you like DCS2, russbo.

I don't know what CODEA is having problems with. If you figure it out, then let me know. But I don't use CODEA (I wrote Mobile Mining Mk2 and DCS2 specifically so that I don't have to use Lucike's pilots). So don't hold your breath waiting for me to figure it out without more information from CODEA players. ;)

russbo wrote:First issue: Drone Scimitars have a speed greater than 600.
Not really. Drones fly at their normal speeds when in combat. They do have Turbo Boosters that increase their speed while getting to the action. But they revert to normal speed when they are within combat range of their targets. Just like real interceptors.

Next version will allow you to adjust the amount of speed increase given by the Turbo Boosters (including no boost at all).
  • (Turbo Boosters are disabled when "Engage Enemies" is disabled.)

Second: Assigning pilots to fighters sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Not sure if the "drones" have forbidden equipment.
No, the drones do not have the CODEA-forbidden equipment (SETA, Enhanced Vision Goggles, or Boost Extension).

I *think* that the drones have the required equipment (except for optional cargo bay life support). You might want to double-check that in your game, and I will make sure that they have everything in the next version.
  • Note that XRM changes the ware size for Docking Computer and Transporter Device, which causes problems for those equipment types. If you play with XRM then you will have to fix that on your own (I cannot fix it by scripting). There is a CODEA patch for XRM that fixes the ware size for the Docking Computers.

Third: if pilots get assigned, then assigning fighters to different hangars is interesting. Once you assign fighters to lets say "Patrol", they sometimes remain as PAT ships, sometimes don't, and when you go back to the Main Hangar to assign ships to another squadron (Attack), you'll see the PAT fighters in the list. The hangar assignment stuff is just not working correctly.
I do not know what causes that. If you figure it out, then let me know, OK?
  • (The only possible thing I can think of is DCS2's automatic management of homebase. That can be disabled in the next version.)

feygan
x4

Post by feygan » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 17:56

First off thanks for the great script, works a charm. I do have one issue however, how do bombers get supplied with missiles?

To give a quick example I had a TL in the same sector as my drone carrier and set the TL as a weapon depot. Bombers were then built and supplied with missiles. I also tried setting my main HQ station as a depot which is in a different sector, the bombers still come with missiles but not all of them, and sometimes not full cargo amounts.

Does the Depot need to be in the same sector? How can I make sure the bombers fill up with missiles instead of just taking a few?

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 19:01

You got it. Knew you would...
I do not know what causes that. If you figure it out, then let me know, OK?
  • (The only possible thing I can think of is DCS2's automatic management of homebase. That can be disabled in the next version.)
I think that's it. The homebase setting. (every else seems to be ok). In CODEA, if the fighter does not have a homebase set to its carrier, it can have a pilot, but cannot be assigned to a hangar reliably. Removiing the homebase setting on a CODEA fighter takes it "out of the hangar"

Can't assign a homebase to the drone to "fix" this at the moment to test it, as DCS seems to automatically remove any homebase setting you try to input.

I agree that it's the homebase issue that's stopping CODEA from interacting correctly with DCS.

Lakz

Post by Lakz » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 19:50

Using anachron's version with ADS. Carrier operations have never been this easy and fun! Thank you both.

As it is, the script is awesome. It takes away the biggest pain in the ass existing in this game : outfitting and prepping dozens of fighters that WILL be lost sooner or later. However, I like things to be challenging and balanced. My biggest complain (while most people here seem to enjoy it :)), is how fast the drones are rebuilt. Ideally, when a wing is lost, I don't want it to come back at least until the end of the battle.

DrBullwinkle, since you seem to be working on a new version, here's my Christmas wish list :

- ADS and XRM integration (done by anarchon, I suggest you copy it :wink: )
- Possibility to toggle off Turbo Boost and Bombers
- Possibility to change drone production rate
* Bonus : Possibility to chose which weapons to equip the drones with (I use the Venti M3 as drone, and it could equip better weapons than the ones it comes with)

On a side note, is there a way to automatically make the fighter drones pick some missiles from a carrier/TL/station? It seems that the Weapon Depot function only benefit bombers, am I right?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 23:49

russbo wrote:I agree that it's the homebase issue that's stopping CODEA from interacting correctly with DCS.
Excellent. Good work, russbo.

Next version will have the ability to set the homebase On, Off, or Auto. That will help players with a variety of environments.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 9. Dec 13, 00:00

feygan wrote:First off thanks for the great script, works a charm. I do have one issue however, how do bombers get supplied with missiles?

Does the Depot need to be in the same sector? How can I make sure the bombers fill up with missiles instead of just taking a few?
The second post in this thread has some background about how I discovered the tech used in DCS2. I was on a deep-space exploration mission in Undefined Space when I came across an alien wreck. The wreck was too large to recover with my UFJD drive, but I was able to scavenge some important pieces of tech.

One important tech item was a long-range transporter device. Bomber drones use this long-range transporter to obtain torpedoes, either from the Weapon Depot or from the carrier, which has manufacturing droids that can build them.

The transporter is pretty fast, so there is no reason for the bombers to carry a full load of torpedoes. They will resupply faster than they fire. It turns out that making the bombers carry a full load of torpedoes causes other problems (and is unnecessarily expensive), so a small load is actually preferred.

The Weapon Depot can be anywhere in the 'verse.
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Mon, 9. Dec 13, 00:56, edited 4 times in total.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 9. Dec 13, 00:32

Lakz wrote:Using anachron's version with ADS. Carrier operations have never been this easy and fun! Thank you both.

As it is, the script is awesome. It takes away the biggest pain in the ass existing in this game : outfitting and prepping dozens of fighters that WILL be lost sooner or later.
Nice. Thank you for the report, Lakz, I am glad that DCS2 and ADS are cooperating so well.

Ideally, when a wing is lost, I don't want it to come back at least until the end of the battle.
Drones are replaced more slowly when in-sector with the player. I will make the OOS and IS timers adjustable in the next version.

- ADS and XRM integration
- Possibility to toggle off Turbo Boost and Bombers
- Possibility to change drone production rate
Already on the list.

Possibility to chose which weapons to equip the drones with (I use the Venti M3 as drone, and it could equip better weapons than the ones it comes with)
Easier said than done. I can, however, add PBG's to the weapon list, so that your Ventis will mount those preferentially. They should already mount EBCG's, right? Those are the second-best weapons that Ventis can mount.
  • If I Have Time Department: PBG's are rare-ish in the vanilla game, so I may make them work *only* from the Weapon Depot. That way, you will still have to find your own PBG's. Fair?
* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
EDIT: Also, the weapons used by an AI-piloted fighter are not very important. What *is* important is shield strength and not running out of laser power. I have done extensive testing on this and the results may seem counter-intuitive: PAC's work better on many fighters than heavier guns. The reasons are large bullet size and never running out of laser energy.

Why is shield strength so important? Because the last ship "alive" wins. It makes sense when you think about it... survival is more important to an AI pilot than firepower.
* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

is there a way to automatically make the fighter drones pick some missiles from a carrier/TL/station? It seems that the Weapon Depot function only benefit bombers, am I right?
Yes, the Weapon Depot is only for the bombers. Missiles on AI-piloted fighters are less valuable than they are on player-piloted fighters. The AI does not use them well, and AI pilots have a nasty habit of launching a missile into a spray of weapon fire -- thus destroying themselves. I think I have removed missiles completely from the interceptor drones in the next version.

However, there is nothing stopping you from applying your own missile resupply settings. Then the fighters will resupply from the carrier when they dock. Venti shields are strong enough to withstand a blast from, say, a Thunderbolt, so you could make that combination work.

Lakz

Post by Lakz » Mon, 9. Dec 13, 06:50

Can't wait. Thanks for you amazing work.
Easier said than done. I can, however, add PBG's to the weapon list, so that your Ventis will mount those preferentially. They should already mount EBCG's, right? Those are the second-best weapons that Ventis can mount.
  • If I Have Time Department: PBG's are rare-ish in the vanilla game, so I may make them work *only* from the Weapon Depot. That way, you will still have to find your own PBG's. Fair?
EDIT: Also, the weapons used by an AI-piloted fighter are not very important. What *is* important is shield strength and not running out of laser power. I have done extensive testing on this and the results may seem counter-intuitive: PAC's work better on many fighters than heavier guns. The reasons are large bullet size and never running out of laser energy.

Why is shield strength so important? Because the last ship "alive" wins. It makes sense when you think about it... survival is more important to an AI pilot than firepower.
Absolutely. I precisely had the PAC in mind :) (I find the PBG still too dangerous in the hands of AI fighters and visually silly, except for pyromaniac pirates). In XRM, fighter weaponry is very limited and race oriented. The Venti, as well as most Argon fighters, cannot mount EBCG. It will only mount IRE, PAC, MD (quite useless with hull packs), PRG's and sometimes Ion Disruptors. DCS spawns my Venti with PRG's front and back. Anyways don't sweat it. It's not really a deal breaker, just a cool feature to have if it's not too hard to implement.

Agreed on the shielding. I picked the Venti mostly for looks, despite the average shielding and energy. In XRM, the Eclipse would be a better candidate but I can't bare the flying-transistor look... Don't get me started on the Notus!
Missiles on AI-piloted fighters are less valuable than they are on player-piloted fighters. The AI does not use them well, and AI pilots have a nasty habit of launching a missile into a spray of weapon fire -- thus destroying themselves. I think I have removed missiles completely from the interceptor drones in the next version.

However, there is nothing stopping you from applying your own missile resupply settings. Then the fighters will resupply from the carrier when they dock. Venti shields are strong enough to withstand a blast from, say, a Thunderbolt, so you could make that combination work.
Agreed. However, I have a huge complex spitting more missiles than I can fire, so why not? 8). I'll just have to figure out a way to do so (I'm a long time CODEA user, and that part used to be automatic). By the way I use the Missile Safety script, which does help lot in the missile accident department.

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Mon, 9. Dec 13, 07:04

Does this script change the race rank levels? I'm trying to get the Argon more angry with me, but I can only get down to -4 with them. -5 just doesn't exist.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 9. Dec 13, 08:09

russbo wrote:Does this script change the race rank levels?
Nope.

I have never heard of anything that does, TBH. Not sure it is possible to do. The *display* can be changed, but the actual values are usually the same.

Just shoot a few of their capital ships. Stealing them works, as well, but not as quickly.

Or try the Cheat Package. It has a feature that allows you to set an actual value, right? Try -1,000,000 (without the commas). See Reputation for race rank values.
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Mon, 9. Dec 13, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 9. Dec 13, 08:39

Lakz wrote:I precisely had the PAC in mind ... DCS2 spawns my Venti with PRG's front and back.
PRG's, while energy hungry, have much faster bullets than PAC's, and are longer-range as well. That is, arguably, better in most situations, which is why DCS2 chooses PRG's before PAC's.

I have a huge complex spitting more missiles than I can fire, so why not? 8). I'll just have to figure out a way to do so
Then set the missile resupply settings yourself. It is easy to do if you add your fighters to a wing.

Speaking of bombers, XRM changes the SpecOps bomber into something quite different, so the next version of DCS2 chooses M3B's (in XRM) instead of the SpecOps bomber. (Hopefully).

Etyneo
x4

Post by Etyneo » Tue, 10. Dec 13, 22:47

Bullwinkle, out of curiosity, when you say, "Any carrier..." in the requirements section of the OP, how is that defined for this script (coded for specific ship class names; types such as M2, M7, TM, etc; number of fighters it can dock; or what)?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 10. Dec 13, 22:52

The Carrier Class is a native part of the game. It includes TM, TL, M7, M1, M2 (and, I think, M6).

Basically, any ship *type* that has docks in the vanilla game. So that includes some ships that do not actually have docks, such as M7M's.

However, DCS2 will only build a drone if there is a docking bay available, so it will not do anything on a ship without docks (even though it will install on ships without docks). Probably.
  • (The original DCS v1.x will work on any carrier-class ship and does *not* require docking bays. So it will work on most M6's, for example, whereas DCS2 will only work on a Hyperion Vanguard.)

Etyneo
x4

Post by Etyneo » Wed, 11. Dec 13, 00:08

DrBullwinkle wrote:The Carrier Class is a native part of the game. It includes TM, TL, M7, M1, M2 (and, I think, M6).

Basically, any ship *type* that has docks in the vanilla game. So that includes some ships that do not actually have docks, such as M7M's.

However, DCS2 will only build a drone if there is a docking bay available, so it will not do anything on a ship without docks (even though it will install on ships without docks). Probably.
  • (The original DCS v1.x will work on any carrier-class ship and does *not* require docking bays. So it will work on most M6's, for example, whereas DCS2 will only work on a Hyperion Vanguard.)
I figured it'd be tied to any ship with available docks. Just wanted to make sure.

Lakz

Post by Lakz » Wed, 11. Dec 13, 01:23

DrBullwinkle wrote:
Lakz wrote:I precisely had the PAC in mind ... DCS2 spawns my Venti with PRG's front and back.
PRG's, while energy hungry, have much faster bullets than PAC's, and are longer-range as well. That is, arguably, better in most situations, which is why DCS2 chooses PRG's before PAC's.
We're splitting hairs here, but I've always been under the impression that AI fighters do a better job with the PAC. The PRG is better on the paper and in player's hands, I might add. But the tiny impact area and the energy drain are not always in favor of AI pilots who basically "pray and spray", slaughtering more spaceflies than actually hitting the target. On fighters having 9 or 10 mouting points + turrets, that's a lot of guns sucking a lot of energy. But I'm quite happy with both :)

When I mentioned the custom load-out, what I had in mind was more of an option allowing different carriers with different/specialized wings, to accommodate every needs/play styles. Some just want the best thing out there, others might want some measure of role play, etc. On the other hand there's always a very fine line between a useful script and the trap of micro-management. So my suggestions are to be taken with a grain of salt.
DrBullwinkle wrote:
I have a huge complex spitting more missiles than I can fire, so why not? 8). I'll just have to figure out a way to do so
Then set the missile resupply settings yourself. It is easy to do if you add your fighters to a wing.
Don't know why I didn't think about the wing thing. Thanks, my New England neighbor!
DrBullwinkle wrote:Speaking of bombers, XRM changes the SpecOps bomber into something quite different, so the next version of DCS2 chooses M3B's (in XRM) instead of the SpecOps bomber. (Hopefully).
Yep, it carries capital class weapons (Laser Towers)! Regular M3B's would be awesome (as long as we can limit the number per carrier, you know :)).

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 11. Dec 13, 02:59

I cannot argue with your logic about PAC's vs. PRG's. I usually mount PAC's on most fighters for those reasons as well as their low cost.

I suspect that other players might squawk if I prioritize PAC's over PRG's. I cannot please everyone on that count (but it is easy to change the priorities in the Script Editor (SE), if you can learn to use that a little).

I do see some small advantage in varying loadouts by carrier (or by role), but that requires a lot of menu work. Menu work is ten times more painful than straight coding in MSCI (the script language). For sure, a feature like that will have to wait until the rest of the main features are stable.
  • (This is the reason why I tend to make options adjustable in the language file rather than in menus. It is just plain easier, which allows me to focus more on core features.)

Next version allows you to adjust the percentage of peace-time bombers. Default is 30%, and the value affects all carriers. During combat, however, a nearby enemy M2 causes all dead interceptors to be replaced by bombers. If it did not work that way then DCS2 would never be able to defeat M2's.

Also, bombers have a limited lifetime (also adjustable). So, after the threat is neutralized, the percentage of bombers will gradually shift back to peacetime levels.

Etyneo
x4

Post by Etyneo » Fri, 13. Dec 13, 05:53

Nice to see that we'll be able to adjust the amount of bombers produced in the next version. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my bomber problem now. It's already known that bombers don't work in XRM, and I already know your next version fixes this. I just wish I could turn off bomber production while I wait for the new version to be released...maybe I can go digging through the script itself...though I'd likely need a bit of guidance as I'm not up on the particulars of the scripting API...

I have some programming experience (C++ mostly), but each language is different, then there's API specific stuff when writing modules for other programs, which can take a language one might know, and essentially turn it into another (depending on how the API is implemented).

Lakz

Post by Lakz » Fri, 13. Dec 13, 05:57

Etyneo wrote:I just wish I could turn off bomber production while I wait for the new version to be released...
Anachron13 did it. Look it up on page 11.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”